Your questions answered

We’ve put together some commonly asked questions to give you more information about Harmonise Travel Insurance and the cover we offer.

If you have a question that is not answered below please use the contact us page.

Simply click on the question to bring up the answer.

Single Trip

Who is eligible for Harmonise Travel Insurance?

Harmonise Travel Insurance is available to people who are clients of Mercer Marsh Benefits and are permanently resident in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

You must be in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man at the time of purchasing this policy and your trip must start and end in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Is there an age limit?

The maximum you can be when commencing cover is seventy nine (79) years old*.

If Family cover has been selected, the maximum age of any children to be covered under this insurance is under twenty one (21) or under twenty five (25) where they are in full time education when this policy commences.

*If you are aged over 79, we may still be able to help under our Free Spirit policy. Click here for details.

What is the maximum duration?

There is no limit to the number of trips you can take or the total number of days you can travel during the Period of Cover. However, the maximum duration of any one trip is sixty (60) days except for winter sports trips undertaken by the Permanent Partner and /or Child/Children without accompanying the Lead Name where such trips must not exceed seventeen (17) days in all.

Can I get travel insurance if I have medical conditions?

Yes. Please read the Medical Declaration during the Get a Quote process on this website and answer the questions carefully. If required, you will be taken through the Medical Screening process and an additional premium maybe required.

If we are not able to provide cover under Harmonise Travel Insurance, you will be offered a link to Free Spirit, who are a specialist travel insurance provider for those with existing medical conditions.

Can you insure me to travel in my Home Country?

Yes, A Trip within Your Home Area is only covered where you have pre-booked at least one (1) night’s stay in a hotel, holiday home or campsite or includes a commercial flight. However, cover for Emergency Medical and Other Expenses is excluded.

Can the Permanent Partner and/or Child/Children travel independently from the Lead Name?

If family cover has been selected, Permanent Partners and Children of the Lead Name can travel independently.

If my partner and I live at different addresses can we use the family rates?

Unfortunately not, the definition of a Family is you and your partner with whom you are living as though they were YOUR spouse or civil partner.

Can I include foster / step children under a family policy?

Yes. The definition of family is two adult partners and any number of their accompanying children (under twenty one (21) years at the date of issue of the policy, or under twenty five (25) years if still in full time education) who are the natural offspring, adopted, fostered, step child or the legal ward of one or both of the adult partners.

Do you insure same sex couples on the family rate?


What is IPT and do your prices include it?

IPT is Insurance Premium Tax which is levied by the government on insurance policies sold in the UK. All prices quoted include IPT.

Do you cover Winter Sports holidays?

Cover for Winter Sports can be included for an additional premium.

What activities are covered under the Winter Sports cover?

Winter Sports means sports that usually take place on ice or snow, including but not limited to, skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing and ice skating. However, the Insurance will not cover such activities undertaken off piste against local authoritative advice

Am I covered for business travel?


Am I covered for events caused by war/terrorism?

You are only covered for act of war/terrorism in respect of Expenses arising from Illness or Injury, In Patient Compensation, Curtailment and Personal Accident provided you are not actively engaged in such War and/or Act Of Terrorism, and provided that you have not travelled to or do not remain in any country or area contrary to where the Foreign and Common Wealth Office have advised against such travel.

Do you have a 24 hour medical emergency service?

Harmonise Travel Insurance has a 24 hour medical emergency and repatriation service. In the event of a medical emergency you must contact the medical emergency assistance service:

Telephone:+44 (0)208 865 0773
Facsimile:+44 (0)1992 708 721

To be covered for in-patient hospital, clinic or nursing home expenses, additional accommodation, repatriation to your home, or curtailment of your trip, the Assistance Provider must be notified. This notification must take place within forty-eight (48) hours of admission for in-patient treatment and, in the event that you need to curtail your trip, before you leave on the return journey.

Further details of this service are shown in your Policy Wording.

Staff are on call 24 hours a day throughout the year. They will, when necessary, guarantee medical bills and arrange repatriation if required.

Note: You must retain receipts for medical & additional costs incurred.

In the event of a medical emergency whilst abroad, do I have to pay my medical bills myself?

If you are asked to pay a bill yourself including a small bill for medicines and/or outpatients you must contact the 24 hour Medical Emergency Service as soon as possible. Full details are shown in your Policy Wording.

How do I make a claim?

In the event of a claim, with the exception of a Medical Emergency, you will need to contact the claims handlers

Telephone:+44 (0)208 865 0772
Facsimile:+44 (0)1992 450 717

who will provide a claim form and confirm the details and documents that are required to support your claim. Claim forms may also be available on line at the web site.

Claims must be notified within thirty one (31) days after completion of the relevant trip with the exception of claims under Legal Expenses which must be notified within one hundred and eighty (180) days after the completion of the relevant trip. Further details of this service are shown in your Policy Wording.

Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are also shown in your Policy Wording on page 5.

Please note: You will be expected to follow the claims procedure shown in your Policy Wording and to substantiate your claim by providing supporting documents/receipts.

If I make changes to my policy will I have to pay extra?

There may be an additional cost involved in amendments made to this policy. Please contact us for further details – 023 9241 9893, we are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays.

Can I add another person to my policy?

Yes. You may make amendments to the number of people insured under this policy. This will be subject to our terms and conditions. Please contact us to discuss this matter further on 023 9241 9893, we are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays.

Can I upgrade my policy from a European destination to a Worldwide destination or to add Winter Sports Cover?

You may increase your trip cover from European to worldwide. Please contact us to discuss this matter further on 023 9241 9893, we are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays.

Is your website secure?

Yes. We use 256-bit encrypted SSL to help keep all of your data safe.

How can I pay for my policy?

You can pay by debit or credit card. We accept Mastercard and Visa.

How will I receive my travel Policy Wording documents?

Your Schedule of Insurance and policy documents are delivered to the email address you provide.

Do I need to take my policy documents with me?

You should print a copy of your Schedule of Insurance and policy documents and carry them with you.

The Policy Wording includes important telephone numbers including the Medical Emergency Assistance Service that is available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for advice, assistance, making arrangements for hospital admission, repatriation and authorisation of medical expenses.

Can I get my money back if I want to cancel?

If you are not completely satisfied with the cover provided you may return your policy to us within 14 days from the date of purchase or the day on which you receive your policy documentation, whichever is the later. Provided you have not made or intend to make a claim, your premium will be refunded in full.

Who are the Insurers?

The lead insurer on this Insurance is Canopius Managing Agents Limited (FCA Number 204847) and they represent all subscribing insurers

The insurers are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. This can be checked on the FCA's register by visiting the FCA's website at or by contacting them on 0800 111 6768 or 0300 500 8082.

Are there countries that are not covered?

Harmonise Travel Insurance will cover all countries and areas except those which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advised against all or all but essential travel.

How do I know what I'm covered for?

Please read the Policy Wording for full details of the cover.

Do I need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

An EHIC entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Union (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only. Remember, this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care. You may apply for an EHIC online at: or by calling 0300 330 1350. Please note: An EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance cover.

Can you resend my policy to me?

Yes. Please contact us for further details – 023 9241 9893, we are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays with your policy number (if known), the lead name and the address (for verification) and we will then resend the policy.

How to make a complaint

Our aim is to ensure that all aspects of your insurance are dealt with promptly, efficiently and fairly. At all times we are committed to providing you with the highest standard of service.

If you have any questions or concerns about your certificate or the handling of a claim you should, in the first instance, contact your scheme administrator whose contact details are shown in the schedule of Insurance.

In the event that you remain dissatisfied and wish to make a complaint, you can do so at any time by referring the matter to:

The Group Data Protection Officer,
Canopius Managing Agents Limited, Gallery 9, One Lime Street, London EC3M 7HA
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7886 9000

If you are still not satisfied with our response, you may then refer your complaint to the complaints team at Lloyd's.
The address of the complaints team

At Lloyd's is:
Complaints, Lloyd's
One Lime Street, London EC3M 7HA
Tel: 020 7327 5693 complete.
Fax: 020 7327 5225

Details of Lloyd's complaints procedures are set out in a leaflet “your complaint –
How we can help” available at and are also available from the address provided.

If you remain dissatisfied after Lloyd's has considered your complaint, you may
Refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The contact details are:
The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR
Tel: 0800 023 4 567 (calls are free from “fixed lines” in the UK) or;
0300 123 9123 (call charges may apply in the UK)

If YOU have purchased YOUR policy online YOU can also make a complaint via the EU's online dispute resolution (ODR) platform. The website for the ODR platform is:

Making a complaint does not affect your right to take legal action, however, FOS will not adjudicate on any cases where litigation has commenced.